1. If a student is going to be absent from school, a parent/guardian must call Bolsa Grande's Attendance Office between 6:45 a.m. and l:00 p.m. at (714) 663-6301 on the day of the absence. This will eliminate a call to parents at work or home from attendance office personnel.
2. If a student must leave campus during the school day, a note, signed by the parent/guardian, must be sent to school on the morning the early dismissal is requested. Include the reason as well as the time necessary for departure. The student must bring the note to the Attendance Office before first period. An off-campus pass will be issued by the attendance office after a follow-up call to parents. Upon return, the student must bring the off-campus pass to the Attendance Office. If a student leaves campus without permission, the absence will be considered a truancy with appropriate consequences assigned.
3. According to school policy, any student absence not cleared by a note, phone call or e-mail from the parent/guardian will become a truancy. Only the following absences are deemed excusable by State Education Code, Section 48200: Illness, medical and dental appointments, health department quarantine, mandated court appearances, and attending funeral services for an immediate family member. Upon returning to school, any student with an absence must clear their absence with the Attendance Office within three days. Failure to clear their absence within three days will result in disciplinary action. A truancy will result in the loss of class credit for any work done during a time of the truancy, as well as the possibility of detention and/or Saturday School.
4. If a student has senior privileges or has a home lunch pass and is unable to return to school, one of the following must be done: either a parent must notify the Attendance Office immediately or the student must notify the Attendance Office immediately, and a parent must verify this in writing the following day.
5. If a parent expects to be temporarily out of town and wishes to authorize a neighbor, friend, or relative to call and clear absences, it is necessary to first notify the Attendance Office. Persons named on the emergency card are not considered authorized to clear absences but may be contacted to obtain permission for a student to leave campus early.
6. If a student is going to be absent for a full day or more for a non-illness, non-emergency reason (vacation, business trip, out of town, etc.), a parent must notify the Attendance Office in advance. The student must pick up a prior permission form from the Attendance Office. If this procedure is completed in advance, the student will be issued a permissive absence upon return. If not, an unexcused absence will be recorded.
7. A student who is ill and absent for three or more days may request homework assignments by contacting the Attendance Office. If a student is absent for 3 or more days, a doctor's note is required to clear the absence. If an absence is expected to last longer than four weeks, parents should contact the school nurse to inquire about eligibility for home teaching. A student with excused absences is permitted to make up any work or test that was missed. It is the student's responsibility to obtain the assignments, complete the work, and turn it in promptly. All work must be completed within a period of time equal to the number of days absent unless other arrangements have been made with teachers. Students who need to miss classes to participate in school activities are expected to get prior permission, as well as assignments, from those teachers whose classes are to be missed.
8. Absences may be cleared at the Attendance Office before school, at break, and lunch. Absences may not be cleared during class time or after school.